Summer Fun

Summer Fun

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hoppy Easter

Down the Rabbit Hole.
Here lately I've been on a cookie and cupcake kick.  Mostly because they are easier for the kids to grab and take to the table themselves.  So down the rabbit hole we go...

What you need
1 recipe of butter cream icing
1 package of malted milk eggs
6 Oreo cookies
1 tsp of edible pearls
Green color paste
Pink color paste
yellow color paste
black color paste

Bake your 24 cupcakes in green cupcake papers.
Mix your butter cream icing
3/4 cup of shorting
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbls water
2 Tbls meringue powder
1 lb powder sugar
Add water 1tsp at a time until you get the consistency you need.  I used a medium consistency.

Remove about 1Tbsp and set aside for pink, 1 for yellow and 1 for black
Remove about 4 Tbsp to keep white
Add green paste to what is left for a light green
Add the light green to one side of a pastry bag fitted with a small leaf tip, I used tip #352
Add more green to the bowl to make a darker green, fill the other side of the bag with the dark green.
I also paint a strip of green paste inside the bag to get a darker green streak when the icing flows out.



Pipe on until the cupcake is covered. Continue to pipe all but 4 cupcakes.





With the remaining 4 cupcakes ice them smooth and dip into crushed Oreo cookies.  To crush the cookies removing the filling.  No don't lick it out no matter how tempting ;-) scrape it out, then place the cookies in a ziplock bag remove the air and roll with a rolling pin until the cookies resemble dirt.



 Arrange on a tray with the holes surrounded by the green grass.  Add the Easter egg candy to the tops scattered in the grass.  To finish off color 1 Tbsp pink and the other yellow.  Add to a pastry bag fitted with a small flower tip.  I used #224.  Add small flowers over the tops of the cupcakes.


Now for those cute little bunny tails.  Humm well these gave me a little trouble.  I kept getting Oreo all over my white.  GRRRR I hate when that happens.  So finally I ended up filling the palm of my hand with the little pearls and filling the pearls with a small ball of while butter cream from a large round tip I used tip number 12 and then just kind of rolled it in the pearls and placed in the center of the Oreo covered cakes.  For the feet, I just pressed the tip a little and drew two lines from the Oreo covered to the icing covered.  With black icing I drew on the little tows and the pads.  And you're done.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful Easter.  We are looking so forward to an early church service followed by a day of hunting eggs and celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment