Summer Fun

Summer Fun

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies

One of those days, it is 2:30 and the kids will be off the bus at 3:00.  Yikes no snack planned today.  But I do have my all time favorite peanut butter cookie dough in the freezer :-). 

I love these cookies because the dough freezes so well.  All you have to do is form into a log, notice I didn't say roll, this dough does NOT roll, I wrap them in freezer paper then pop in a freezer bag.  Also don't write on that freezer bag, write on the paper.  See that way you can reuse your bag.  That is my trade off for using parchment paper.  Just a little side note: If you will leave the roll on a cookie sheet, place in the freezer unwrapped for about 30 minutes then wrap with the paper it will not stick to the paper.

I found out these freeze well because the recipe makes so many, 144, there is no way we could eat them all.  Well I could but I shouldn't and the kids most definetely should not!  I was thinking mix half a batch and my hands mixed a whole.  So there you have it, 2 good sized logs in the freezer 2 months ago.  See way I love it?  SO easy!

Peanut Butter Cookies

Not as pretty without the crosscrosses but still yummy


4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 jars (18 ounces each) creamy peanut butter
2 cups butter softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees                                                  

1.  In a medium bowl wisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.

2.  In large mixing bowl beat peanut butter, butter, and both sugars at medium speed until creamy.  Reduce speed to low; beat in vanilla, then eggs one at a time until creamy.

3. Add flour mixture and mix until just blended.

4.  Drop by rounded measuring tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased (parchment papered) large cookie sheet.  Dip the times of a fork into sugar, then press crisscross pattern into top of each cookie.

5.  Bake until lightly brown, 12 to 14 minutes.  Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

Now if this is frozen of course there will be no crisscross pattern unless you want to slice then let thaw.  I just slice, place on pan and straight into the oven frozen about 15 minutes at 350.  No they are not as pretty as the fresh dough ones but they still taste goooood.

 Complete mystery in my kitchen, rack was full, left the room to get the to get the camera....hummmm ;-)

So in about 20 minutes you can have homemade fresh baked cookies.  I know my kids will be excited when they get home from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment