Summer Fun

Summer Fun

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'm scared of fish!

I'm scared of cooking fish, well I'm really scared of cooking any kind of seafood.  Not really lake fish, I can gut, skin, and fillet a fish, bread and deep fry bass, crape, catfish.  I am after all from Texas.  I however never have really tried to cook anything from the sea other than salmon and it just never turns out...But yesterday I found a new cookbook Flavors of a Newport Summer. It is such a cute book, it was put together by a local school to raise money. I'm not sure where to buy the book other than the little local store where I picked it up.  http://www.beachhousenewport.com/   The people in the store are so nice and it is just full of local artists' works. 

Anywho you know what they say... 'when in Rome'.

So I've decided I am going to do it!!!  I am going to learn to cook seafood.  YIKES! I mean we do live on an island, there is seafood in every shop.  YIKES!

There is everything in the cookbook from breakfast/brunch, lunch, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, picnic foods, dinner and desserts. But most of all there is lobster, crab, shrimp (YUCK), littlenecks whatever those are????  And clams, an entire clam bake.  I like most of this, not the shrimp obviously, and I'm not sure about littlenecks, going to have to ask the guy at the market about those...but I'm pretty adventurous with food.  Shrimp is one of the very few things I do not like.  Of course I'll be trying a dessert first.  Though I do love the way this book is organized as entire meals...They have sections like Lunch on Center Court...get it?  The Tennis Hall of Fame is here.  And Tailgate at the Polo Match or Orchestrating a Bellevue Dinner.  I may just try an entire meal!  I'll most definitely share how it goes.  But for now I've got to get started on a grocery list.  There is NO seafood in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment