Summer Fun

Summer Fun

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cobbler


Ever gone a little overboard in the fresh fruit area of your grocery? Every once in a while I go little nuts and when I get home I realize how much I've bought. Today was one of those days....either everything looked really good or I was a little hungry. So while making our lasagna tonight I was thinking. What in the world am I going to do with an entire bag of pears? It wouldn't be so bad had I not also bought apples, nectarines, bananas, grapes...you get the picture. I have to use them or they will go bad. Pears are my kids least favorite fruit so they will be eaten last. I think it's the texture.

My first thought was ooooh a tart. Well that means a pastry has to be made and well dinner was already in the oven. It needed to be fast and easy! So I was wondering, what would a pear cobbler taste like? I love peach cobbler. Oh what the heck...I'm going to try it.

The bag of pears I purchased contained three different types of pears. I peeled, cored, and sliced two Red D'Anjou, two green D'Anjou, and one Bosc.  I've never baked with pears before so I wasn't sure which would be best.  They all seem to have held up well.

I have a Peach Cobbler recipe that is really fast to stir together and bakes in about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  So I decided to use it.

Spray the pan, I use Nordic Ware Bakers Joy Non-Stick Spray, love the stuff.  Peel and slice the fruit.  Enough to cover the bottom of your pan.  I used a Wilton Excelle Elite 9-Inch Springform Pan.  Any small casserole dish will work also.  I like to remove mine from the pan and plate it, that is why I use the springfrom.  This isn't your typical cobbler.  It holds together and is not runny or juicy.  It is more of a sweet soft dough with fruit in it.

After you place the fruit in the bottom of the pan.  Stir together the following in a small bowl and pour over the fruit.

3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups flour
3/4 cups of milk
1/2 cup butter melted
1 tsp baking powder


That's it pour in pan over pears and bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes.  Or until the top is golden.


SO what was the verdict....My middle and I son loved it.  The others not so much.  But then again the hubby doesn't like pears and neither does my oldest son they picked the pears out and ate the dough.  I was surprised my daughter didn't like it, because she does like pears.  She said it was too sweet. Never thought I would hear that come out of a child's mouth.

See it looks more like a pie.

So next time you need to use up some fruit, this recipe will work with peaches, cherries, blueberries, and pears.  I would try any fruit in this.  If you try something not listed here let me know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhhh girl wait until you start picking EVERYTHING at Sweet Berry Farms! Your gonna LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete