Summer Fun

Summer Fun

Monday, February 14, 2011

Baking Soda Bubbles

     Baking soda bubbles and baking power levels, that is one of the first things I remember learning when it comes to baking. 
     If you know me you know I love to bake.  I specialize in cakes.  But I love to bake anything, especially anything sweet.  I have had several cake decorating classes, and baking classes, but you know the old saying 'everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten', well everything I need to know I learned in my grandma's kitchen.  Well mostly anyway.  I don't know how many hours I spent hanging on her apron strings, well hers and my mom's.  I tried my best to write down every recipe from my grandma I could get my hands on before she passed.  I'll never forget asking her to write down her recipe for her biscuits.  She laughed and said "Well hun, all you have to do is make your ring of flour and then add a couple of eggs, a few pads of butter and milk until you have what you want."  ummmm Well thanks Grandma but I need to know how much of each, and she told me to just watch her and I would figure it out.  So that is what I did over and over again.  To this day I couldn't tell you the measurements but I can make them.  That is how lots of my baking has come to life, L-O-T-S of trial and error.  My mom has always baked sweets for every holiday.  Cakes, pies, cookies, candies, and God bless her she writes down EVERYTHING, it makes it so much easier to make her yummy things.
     A little about me and my family.  I have been married for 15 years, and we have 3 wonderful children.  My hubby is an amazing soldier in the US Army and has been for 12 years now.  We move A LOT!  I needed a career that could move with me and allowed me the time to be with my children and not at work 40 hours a week while my husband is away.  So this year we have been blessed with a duty station in Newport RI.  Yes Newport.  Not a normal place for the Army, but let me say I am LOVING it here.  The only thing about being here is we are only here for a year so that's not really enough time to build another baking business.  So I am going to take the rest of our time here and work on some cookies. 
     I am going to work my way through The Golden Book of Cookies http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Book-Cookies-Great-Recipes/dp/0764161857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297738045&sr=8-1 Hopefully all the way through it.  I'll start Wednesday and let you know how it goes one recipe at a time.  Of course I'll toss in other things that happen during everyday life and kitchen tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment